[H] is for Hills

H      Every training program out there will tell you that adding a hill session to your schedule is a really good idea. I have only recently come to terms with hills. For a long time, I was avoiding them as they sounded as too much work – and really, I only ever signed up for flat races anyway. But. In a very strange way, hills started to become fun. You know, here and there a sneaky incline or a bridge breaking the monotonous flatness. I live in central London so inclines and bridges are pretty much all I get but you can work with these. I did couple of Kenyan hills workouts at the pedestrian subway at Waterloo which was surprisingly empty compared to the rush hour craziness around the station. Also laps around the IMAX cinema made for a nice break between the intervals. I was quite lucky there wasn’t a film premier though.

And the best thing about a hills session is that there is always a downhill section.

7 Comments (+add yours?)

1. trentpmcd
    Apr 09, 2015 @ 20:19:05

Although I’ve identified with many of your running posts, i.e., I’ve lost toe nails before, this is a big one for me. My “flat” run starts with a vertical climb of about 600′ (just under 200 m). Sure, that’s over a mile and half, so not super steep. My hill run on the other hand…. Anyway, with long, steep hills, I much prefer the uphills – downhills can be a killer.

Liked by 1 person

• evamarasca
      Apr 13, 2015 @ 19:22:32

I do have to agree with you on the steep downhills – my knees hurt just thinking about them…and I am really jealous that you have the hills on your doorsteps.

Liked by 1 person

• trentpmcd
        Apr 13, 2015 @ 21:02:11

Hills are nice – but I wish for flat sometimes!

• evamarasca
        Apr 28, 2015 @ 19:50:32

Yep, we always want something we don’t have! 🙂
        I have signed up for a hilly trail run in June (10k) – I am so excited!
        I wonder how long it will last 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• trentpmcd
        Apr 28, 2015 @ 20:54:51

Actually, I live in two places – I’m currently sitting in my house on Cape Cod (vacation house) and it is very flat here. I haven’t done any runs here yet this year, but I hope to do about 5 or 6 miles tomorrow.

Good luck with the hilly run! Oh, thinking of runs, did you do the London Marathon? How did it go? I know, if you made it to the end you won! Someday I may try one. It’ll take a bit to get there, though. I don’t mean London, I mean training for 26 miles;)

2. Emily Trajcevski Mangelsdorf Christensen Cohen
    Apr 10, 2015 @ 18:35:26

hills,
    what profound word,

stay upbeat, thanks for the beautiful blogging choice.

Liked by 1 person